This is my version of a chocolate and cherry mud cake which is best had warm with a creamy chocolate sauce. I made it on a rainy day and had it with tea and it was bliss!
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: High
For the cake mix:
- All-purpose flour (or maida) – 1 cup
- Diced and pitted cherries – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – 3 tablespoons
- Curd – ¾ cup
- Milk Powder – 4 tablespoons
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Coffee – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Vanilla Extract – 2-3 drops
- Baking Powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
For the sauce:
- Heavy cream – 1/2 cup
- Dark Chocolate – 1 slab
- Sugar – 5 tablespoons
- Take sugar in a grinder and grind it to a fine powder.
- Add curd to the sugar and blend well.
- Strain the all-purpose flour (or maida) in a big bowl and add salt, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and coffee powder to it and mix well.
- Grease a cake tin with unsalted butter and dust with all-purpose flour.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Mix the curd and sugar mixture with the dry ingredients. Add the diced cherries and vanilla extract as well.
- Fold the mixture with light hands.
- Shift the mixture into the greased cake tin and keep it in the OTG/Microwave for 35-40 minutes until crisp.
- Insert a toothpick into the cake to check if it’s done. If the toothpick comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly.
- Take cream in a heavy bottom pan and put it on low flame. Add the chopped chocolate and sugar until they dissolve completely and remove from flame once it is runny and smooth.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Cut the cake from the middle into 2 pieces.
- Add a generous layer of cream mix on one of the pieces and place the second piece of the cake on top and place the rest of the cream mix on top.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder from a strainer and serve warm.