Gnocchi is such a warm recipe and makes for a great dinner. It’s that perfect comfort food that can lift your spirits on a not-so-bright day. This is one of the easiest pasta to make at home and can be had with any sauce or veggie. You can roll the dough and make gnocchi and preserve it in the freezer and boil in hot water and add veggies whenever you are ready to eat.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- All-purpose flour (or maida) – 1/2 cup
- Potatoes – 3 large
- Butter – 100gm
- Garlic – 3 cloves, smashed
- Mushrooms – 1 bowl, diced
- Walnuts – 2, chopped
- Parmesan cheese – 2 tablespoons, grated for garnish
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Black Pepper
- Salt – to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salty water. Peel the potatoes once they cool down slightly, they should still be warm otherwise it will be difficult to fold the flour in.
- Mash the potatoes finely using a fork or a sieve. The best would be passing it through a sieve for a smooth consistency.
- Dust your working surface and fold flour into the potato mash using light hands. Massage the dough and keep adding flour as and when required.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 pieces. Dust the working surface again with fresh flour and use each piece to make a snake-like roll by rolling lightly with your palms.
- Cut the roll into small pieces of 2 inch each.
- Slightly push each piece with a fork to create an impression on each piece.
- Boil water in a heavy bottomed pan and add generous amounts of salt. Once the water is boiling, add few pieces of gnocchi so that they cover the surface of the pan.
- Gently push with a ladle, all the pieces will start floating on top in a few seconds.
- Allow the pieces to cook for 1-2 minutes and then use a strainer to pull them from boiling water and place them on paper towels to remove excess water.
- Follow this step until all the gnocchi is boiled and cooked.
- Take a big pan and add a tablespoon of butter. Add the smashed garlic cloves, mushroom and salt. Let the mushrooms sweat for a few minutes and remove and keep in a bowl.
- Now add the remaining butter to the pan and allow it go brown and remove from heat.
- Add the cooked gnocchi to the pan and mix well.
- Transfer the gnocchi to a bowl and squeeze the juice of half a lemon.
- Crush black pepper, add the sautéed mushrooms, walnuts and grate a little cheese and enjoy!