Spaghetti Aglio e Olio stands for spaghetti with garlic and oil and is a traditional dish made in Naples region of Italy. It’s my favorite spaghetti dish and is really quick and simple to make. You can change the veggies to create different versions of the same dish.
If you know me, I am a big fan of Italian cuisine and Spaghetti by far is my favorite pasta type. Here are some of my best and easy Spaghetti recipes from the blog:
I hope you like this fuss-free and easy Spaghetti Aglio Olio recipe and give it a try.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Spaghetti – 200 gm
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, diced
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon – 1, zest and juice
- Parmesan cheese – 50 gms
- Mushrooms – ½ cup, sliced
- Olives – 7-8 diced
- Chili flakes
- Salt – to taste
- Bring a big pot of water to boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and a drizzle of oil. Add the spaghetti pasta to the boiling water and let it cook until it is al dente. It might take around 10-12 minutes. Drain the pasta and save a cup of the water.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and the chili flakes and cook for a minute until the garlic changes color.
- Add onions and let them cook for 2-3 minutes until they become transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and stir them until they are cooked. Add the salt.
- Add the pasta and the cup of saved water and let them cook for a few minutes.
- Add zest and juice of a lemon, olives, a drizzle of oil and grated Parmesan before serving.
You could also toss in some fresh cherry tomatoes if you want, like I did. This added freshness and flavor rot my pasta or you could have it plain and simple without any veggies as well.